17 May 2012

Just Want to Say Thanks

The above article recently ran in the local paper, the Bellefontaine Examiner.  I contacted them a while back about doing a story on my participation in the Columbus Arts Festival and they responded with a long list of questions, which I answered with some pretty long-winded answers.  I figured the reporter, Mandy Loehr, would be overwhelmed and maybe even a bit annoyed with how I just kept going on and on and on (I’m a writer—what do you expect?).  But she wasn’t.  In fact, she really appreciated how much time and effort I put into my answers and was able to write a great story because of it.  I’m not certain that had the interview been done in person rather than via e-mail if I would have opened up quite as much as I did and given her as much information, so I’m glad we did the whole thing by e-mail.

Since this article was published I’ve been getting a lot of attention from various people who either saw the article online or in the actual newspaper.  Lots of congratulations and whatnot.  I’ve also been getting a much needed influx of hits to my blog too, which is awesome.  I just want to say thanks to everyone for that.  I also want to give a big thank you to the Examiner for doing this article.

I’ve had several people say something to me along the lines of “I didn’t even know you wrote poetry”.  Not many people, really.  I don’t really share the fact that I’m writer with people other than my close friends and those within the “writing world”, such as my fellow Columbus-area poets.  A lot of people don’t quite understand poetry, or writing in general for that matter, so you’re never really sure how people will respond when you tell them you’re a writer.  I was actually hesitant to contact the paper about doing an article because of that.  But so far, it’s all been a lot of positive responses.

My local media presence will continue on May 28th when I will appear on the Nightmix on WPKO with Matt Smith.  I’ve never heard poetry read on the radio other than on NPR, so it should be interesting.

EDIT: Last night I decided when I wrote this post, I really should have included some specific thank yous and I would like to do that now; it's better late than never.  First and foremost, I want to thank Simon A. for being the main influence behind my writing poetry.  Had I never befriended him and never read his poetry, I never would have started writing it myself.  Simon is a really cool guy and although I only know him online and have never actually met him, he is a great friend.  You can find a link to Simon's blog, Sydelic, to your right.  He's an awesome artists, so please check it out.  Next I would like to thank high school social studies teacher Jeff F. for everything he has taught me and every bit of encouragement he ever gave me.  I never actually had him as a teacher, but he has probably taught me more than any other teacher and I would have never made it through college without his aid.  He has always been willing to read my writing and has done nothing but encourage me.  Next is my best friend Trenton H.  He has given me confidence that I have never felt before and for that, I am so grateful.  Without that confidence, I would have never started legitimately pursuing publication and ultimately trying to make a living out of my writing.  He has had an amazing impact on me and my life, and again is someone I would not have made it through college without.  Next is someone I am unfortunately no longer friends with, though we are at least on relatively good terms now and do occasionally talk.  Paul S. was the driving force behind completion of my first novel, which is precisely why it still remains dedicated to him even if we are not friends.  I always had difficulty getting him to read anything I wrote, even my novel which is dedicated to him and features a main character named after him, but he was always the first one to say "quit thinking about it and just do it."  He always had his own interesting hard-hitting way of encouragement, which is precisely why he was always such a good friend.  Hopefully one day we can amend that.  Finally, I would like to thanks James W., Maria L., Jessica H., and Angie H. for always wanting to read what I write.  I really appreciate their eagerness and input.  And again, thank you to everyone who visits this blog, even if it is just once.

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty fantastic having a celebrity in our town!! Congrats on your article and I will tune in to listen to you as well.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear it, bro