18 January 2012

The Search for Publication


The writing world is a tough one to break. There are two ways of doing it: go straight for the publisher or go for an agent first and let them deal with the publisher. Neither one is really all that easy. Agents receive thousands of cover letters from aspiring writers every year; of those writers, only a handful are asked to submit a full manuscript. The amount of those who get an offer for representation is even smaller. Essentially, your chances at publication are entirely based upon your talent at writing a genuine cover letter. You could have a manuscript that could easily outsell Harry Potter, but if you can't write a letter that really sells it, then no one will ever get to read it save for a few supportive friends. In a little less than one page (once you add the heading and closing), you must give a full description of your manuscript (including any and all major plot points—even the twist ending), identify a key audience, explain why this is a good book, discuss any previous publication history, and give some brief biographical information about yourself. And that's all at 12pt font, not 8pt. Over a page and they're most likely not going to read it. Fortunately though, most agents anymore accept (and prefer) e-mail queries over snail mail, so it's not as noticeable if you go a little over that one page limit. It's also cheaper and easier for you, the writer. And since you're a writer, an aspiring (and therefore struggling) writer, any way you can save a few cents (how much is a stamp these days?) is especially preferred.

If you're going to try for publication, be ready for a plethora of rejection letters. Unless you're the reincarnate of Mark Twain, don't expect your first submission to get published, whether it be to an agent or a short piece to a magazine. If I had a dollar for every rejection letter I've received, then I'd be okay if I never land a publishing deal. Rejection letters tend to be the same: short, to the point, generic. It's a form letter most likely. Sometimes they at least put in your name, but usually it starts with something like “Dear writer”. Then they proceed to tell you that although they enjoyed your work and it is of good merit, it just doesn't quite “fit” that for which they are looking. It's discouraging. Makes you question your writing ability. Don't. Don't let anyone ever make you question anything at which you know you are good, whether it be writing, a sport, music, or what have you. Writing is one thing I know I can do well. It's the one thing I know I want to do. When I cross off number one on my bucket list (write a best-selling book), which I know I will one day do, I'll just have to add to the end of the list “Write another best-selling book”.

I'd like to close this post by sharing with you the most interesting of all rejection letters which I have received. It is from agent whose name I shall not disclose. It is the most peculiar of form letters.

Dear Author,

Well, it's finally happened: after over thirty years of answering every query letter that has ever come my way, I've been forced to finally acknowledge that a new era is upon us all. Before the arrival of e-mail submissions, I used to receive perhaps one hundred queries a week. That was a lot of queries but it wasn't frankly unmanageable. The F******** Agency now receives more than twice that on a daily basis and it's becoming impossible to attend to much of anything else!  I'm so sorry for the impersonal response, I hate to do this.  Writing a good book or a good proposal is among the hardest things in the world to do; I promise, we're not unsympathetic!  You have our word that we are reading every single query letter that comes our way, but from now on, we're only responding personally if we're sufficiently curious and would like to read further. Please don't take offense at this Draconian measure-- there is undoubtedly a wonderful agent out there for whom your book might just be the perfect match. Toward that end, we wish you all the best!

Take care,
M**** F*******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear it, bro